We just returned from the NAB Convention in Las Vegas having attended RAIN Summit and numerous meetings with industry leaders and firms involved in Internet radio. 2011 is shaping up to be the year of Internet radio especially given the IPO filing by Pandora. However there are some new partnerships and entries on the services side of the business which I have highlighted below:
- Liquid Compass has announced a partnership with ADSWIZZ where ADSWIZZ will provide ad insertion and impression measurement services for Liquid Compass customers. ADSWIZZ is a Belgium based company that has been operating in Europe and has been eyeing entry into the U.S. market.
- ABACAST has secured new funding and has launched a new Ad insertion system, Abacast Clarity. Additional partnerships have been announced with firms to assist in monetizing station ad inventory including Citadel Media and AdLarge. ABACAST also provides audience measurement services.
- A new company providing audience measurement has launched in the U.S., Touchcast. Touchcast based in Belgium has launched it Casterstats product.
- Ando Media (now known as Triton Digital) has secured Media Rating Council (“MRC”) accreditation for its Internet radio measurement service, Webcast Metrics
- Arbitron has announced that it is going to provide audience measurement services for Internet Radio
These developments should lead to a very interesting year in the Internet Radio industry. Given Arbitron’s dominance in measuring terrestrial radio it would be hard to bet against whatever platform they release not being the eventual winner. Will they buy or build?
Ando Media (a company we founded in 2004) has been the dominant ad insertion and audience measurement company serving the Internet radio industry. Triton faces heightened competition on the ad insertion side of their business and now audience measurement as well. As in all industries, now that the market has grown competitors are emerging.